There are so many great ways to use Mrs Balbir Singh’s award-winning Tandoori Rub to change up your regular favourites. Here’s a very easy recipe for a whole tandoori chicken that is a fall back in our house when we need a quick way to spice up our Sunday roast, without measuring out lots of separate spices. We probably make this at least once a month, much to everyone’s delight.
1 Whole Chicken (without giblets)
2 tsp Salt, or to taste
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 cup Natural or Greek Yogurt
1 tbsp Ginger Paste
1 tbsp Garlic Paste
1½ tbsp Mustard Oil (or preferred oil)
½ tsp Mrs Balbir Singh Original Garam Masala (optional)
Butter for brushing
1. Make slits in the chicken legs and thighs and place in a large bowl. Add half the salt and half the lemon juice and rub well all over inside out. Set aside.
2. In another large bowl make the marinade by adding the Mrs Balbir Singh Tandoori Rub, oil, ginger paste, garlic paste and salt into the yoghurt, remaining lemon juice and salt and mix very well.
3. Add chicken to marinade and apply well all over inside out, and under the skin of the breast if using a chicken with the skin on. Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight, or for a minimum of 1-2 hours. Then place the chicken in a roasting tin or tray.
4. Preheat oven to 200º C
5. Roast chicken for 1½ hours or until the juices run clear when pricked with a skewer. Halfway through cooking, baste the chicken with a little of the leftover marinade from the bowl. If you have some Mrs Balbir Singh Original Garam Masala on hand, lightly sprinkle half a teaspoon of it over the chicken from a height at this halfway stage to take it up another level.
6. Remove from oven. Brush chicken lightly with some butter or ghee, cover with foil and leave to rest for 20 minutes. Serve with your favourite roast vegetables.
© Mrs Balbir Singh Limited
(Please feel free to share a working link back to this recipe page on your social media using the links above).