According to a tweet we came across, “Simple is best and nothing is simpler than Mrs Balbir Singh's keema.” Try Mrs Balbir Singh’s wonderful mince and pea curry tonight, it’s easy to make and so flavoursome. You could switch out the lamb for chicken, mutton or goat mince or your preferred vegetarian option of course. With its roots in Mughlai cuisine, this is probably one of the most popular keema dishes in Indian cookery.
Category: Indian Meat Dishes
60g Ghee (or your preferred Oil)
5cm Cinnamon Stick
4 Black Cardamoms
115g Onions, grated
½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
450g Minced Lamb (or your preferred vegetarian mince substitute)
2 Bay Leaves
1½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Turmeric
30g Ginger (or Ginger Paste)
6 Garlic Cloves (or 6 teaspoons of Garlic Paste)
225g Blanched, Peeled and Chopped Tomatoes (or tinned chopped tomatoes)
225g Frozen Peas
½ tsp Garam Masala
1 to 2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
Red Onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp Coriander Leaves, chopped
- Heat the ghee and very lightly fry the whole spices (cloves, cinnamon and black cardamoms). Remove from the ghee, crush immediately and set aside for later.
- Heat the same ghee and fry the onions until golden brown then remove pan from the heat; add red chilli powder and a tablespoon of hot water. Place pan back on a low heat and cook until the water is absorbed.
- Add minced lamb, bay leaves, crushed whole spices, salt and turmeric. Cover and cook stirring occasionally until the juices in the mince dry up.
- Grind the ginger and garlic and add them to the mince and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cover and cook stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are mixed up with the mince and the gravy thickens.
- Add the peas to the cooking mince. Return to cook on a high heat for a short time until the peas are cooked, add the garam masala and stir for a final minute on a medium heat.
Serve hot sprinkled with your choice of the above suggested garnishes. Best served with chapati, naan or basmati rice.
© Mrs Balbir Singh Limited
(Please feel free to share a working link back to this recipe page on your social media using the links above).