Tandoori Lamb Chops
Quite simply one of the best ways to elevate your Tandoori Tuesdays, or indeed any day, year-round. Whether that be indoors under the grill or in an airfryer, or outdoors during grilling and BBQ season.
Category: Recipes for Mrs Balbir Singh's Spice Blends
- Lamb Chops
Ingredients for the marinade (For Every 600-700g or 1.5 lb of Lamb)
- 4 tsp (15g) Mrs Balbir Singh's Tandoori Rub*
- 3-5 tbsp Natural or Greek-Style Yoghurt
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste (or finely chopped/grated fresh garlic)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste (or finely chopped/grated fresh ginger)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon or Lime Juice
- A pinch of Natural Tomato Colouring (or Tomato Puree) - optional
- 1 tsp Ghee (or preferred oil)
- 1 tsp Salt, or to taste
*spice blend measurement above is level measuring spoons
Ingredients for sprinkling on the chops, from one or more of the following:-
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro) Leaves, finely chopped
- A sprinkle of Chilli Salt
- Fresh Green or Red Chillies, finely chopped, (and deseeded if you prefer it milder)
Step 1: prepare the chops
Leave the chops at room temperature for 20 minutes, then prick them a few times with a fork.
Step 2: make the marinade
In a large bowl, mix the above-mentioned marinade ingredients all together until fully blended. Place the chops into this bowl making sure to then mix again to fully coat them with the marinade. Leave in the fridge, covered with a lid or cling film for preferably at least one to two hours. The longer the better and if desired this can be done the day before or in the morning in the day and left in the fridge until it's time to cook.
Step 3: grill the chops
Preferably remove the bowl from of the fridge about 10-20 mins before cooking. Place the chops on parchment paper or non-stick foil and grill under the grill if cooking indoors until cooked and slightly charred. Depending on your grill, how high you set the heat this should take approx 15 minutes, turning once halfway through. You can also do this stage in a high heat oven, of at least 220-240 degrees C.
Alternatively, you can, of course, cook this over an indoor or outdoor bbq grill.
Step 4: serving suggestion
Mrs Balbir Singh
Award-winning godmother of Indian home cooking, and author of Mrs Balbir Singh's Indian Cookery, as featured in "The Best Indian Cookbooks Ever, as Judged by the Experts" - The Telegraph (UK)